Empowering Youth and Families
What is the Empowering Youth and Families Program?
The Empowering Youth and Families Program is delivered within parent, youth, and family sessions. Parents and youth meet in separate groups for the first hour and together as families during the second hour to practice skills, play games, and do family projects. Sessions are highly interactive and include role-playing, discussions, learning games, and family projects.
The Empowering Youth and Families Program is designed to:
- Prevent teen substance abuse and other behavior problems
- Strengthen parenting skills
- Improve family cohesiveness
What are the benefits of the Empowering Youth and Families Program?
- Delaying the onset of adolescent substance use/abuse
- Lowering levels of aggression
- Increasing the resistance to peer pressure in youth
- Increasing the ability of parents/caregivers to set appropriate limits and show affection to and support of their children
- Creating positive outcomes with school-related behavior problems
- Giving youth a healthy future orientation and an increased appreciation of their parents/caregivers
How does it work?
Empowering Youth and Families content is delivered for the first hour to parents and youth in separate groups. The groups typically come together for a family meal and then practice skills, play games, and do family projects during the second hour. Sessions are highly interactive and include role-playing, discussions, learning games, and family projects. Special features include:
- Parents and youth learning together
- Sessions are designed and use examples with ethnically diverse families in rural and urban settings
- Scientific evaluation that has shown the program to be effective